The beautiful Rosental is about 40 km long. It extends from the Draussleife at Rosegg in the west to the mouth of the Vellach in the east.
In the north it is bounded by the ridge of the Sattnitz, in the south of the mountain range of the Karawanken.
Drauabwärts the valley goes over into the Jaun valley.
The name of the valley derives from the Romanesque field name Rasa, which was first documented in 876 and was in the municipality of today's Rosegg. The lords of Ras and Rasek built on the castle hill of Rosegg the castle Altrosegg. From 1227 the name Rastal was used for the entire Upper Rosental.