The legend about the origin of the lake
In the past, there was not water at the location of Lake Bled, but a meadow valley with a small hill and a rock, where mountain fairies danced at night. Shepherds grazed their sheep in the valley, which ate grass around the fairy rock. The fairies asked the shepherds to put a fence around their dance area, so that the grass would remain soft. The shepherds did not consider their request and one day, the youngest and most beautiful fairy broke her leg while dancing. The angry fairies called upon the springs and brooks to storm into the valley and fill it with water. Only the hill with the rock remained as an island in the middle of the lake, where fairies could dance in light starry nights. Although fairies left these places a long time ago, a beautiful fairy lake and an island below the mountains were left behind. This is Lake Bled.
- Rest on one of the benches and enjoy the view of the lake.
- Walk 6 kilometres around the lake or enjoy in a horse-drawn carriage ride.
- In summer, you swim or enjoy in other offered water sports on the lake.
- Ride to the island on pletna boat or rent a boat and paddle.
- Take photos of charming sunsets, pletna boats, the island with the church, castle and swans.
- The lake freezes in very cold winters, so you can skate or walk on lake surface (if the ice is deep enough and at your own risk).
For more information about the region, please click on -> Bled Tourist Board