The castle was restored in the period from 1951 to 1961, whereas the Bled Castle Printing Works was integrated in the building for servants at the lower courtyard, and the castle wine cellar has also been added slightly higher. A 12-metre deep well was carved in rock in the lower courtyard, and the castle also hosts the tower gallery featuring monthly exhibitions, a memorial room dedicated to Arnold Rikli and a room dedicated to museums in Gorenjska, as well as the Castle Beehive with souvenirs also.
There is a museum in the upper courtyard, where you can delve deep into the distant past of Lake Bled, from the early excavations and the castle to the individual steps of its historical development, and see period-specific artefacts. The artefacts do not originate from Bled Castle, but are important for illustrating the residential culture in all the periods the castle has faced so far. A path leads from the upper courtyard to the castle chapel, smithy, souvenir shop and restaurant.
Many cultural events take place on the castle's courtyard, especially in warm months. Special attention is given to the Medieval Days when knights show visitors how people lived in the Middle Ages.
- Enjoy in the view of Bled Island, Bled and the Gorenjska region surrounded with high mountains.
- Take in the beautiful scenes of the picturesque castle architecture and the museum collection presenting the history of Bled, its culture and people.
- Learn about the traditional hand printing techniques at the Bled Castle Printing Works and print your own memorial document.
- Bottle your own wine and seal the bottle with wax in the castle cellar.
- See the wonderfully forged products at the castle smithy.
- Power up at the castle restaurant that offers an exceptional breath-taking view.
- See the well in the lower courtyard.
- View the current exhibition at the gallery.
- Visit the memorial room dedicated to Arnold Rikli, and the room dedicated to museums in Gorenjska.
- In summer months, visit the interesting medieval show.
For more information about the region, please click on -> Bled Tourist Board